SpaceX’s exploration technologies corporations always have been designing, manufacturing, and launching advanced rockets and spacecraft since time immemorial. Knowing about SpaceX is all about the advancement in space science and technology that has been revolutionizing space world, with the ultimate goal of enabling people to live on other planets.
While there are many in the list of world’s top innovative companies in space that are designing, manufacturing, and launching space machines the way much better and perfect. But, the name of SpaceX leads all the others. It is not other than a brand in space.
Here, we bring you a list of the major things you need to know about SpaceX. Go, read it below.
1. What is SpaceX?
Space Exploration Technologies Corp., also known as SpaceX, is an American aerospace manufacturer and space transport services company. Its headquarters are located in Hawthorne, California.
2. Who is the founder of SpaceX?
It was founded in 2002 by entrepreneur Elon Musk with the goal of reducing space transportation costs and enabling the colonization of other planets. SpaceX has since developed many revolutionized space technologies which are now delivering payloads into the Earth orbit.
3. What are the goals of Elon Musk and his company SpaceX?
According to Musk one of his important goals is to improve the cost and reliability of access to space by a factor of ten.
Some of the major goals of Elon Musk and his company SpaceX are –
- To develop a rapidly reusable launch system similar to the reusability of aircraft.
- To send humans to Mars’ surface within 10–20 years.
- To design and launch a spaceflight system of rocket engines, launch vehicles and space crafts to transport humans to Mars and return to Earth.
- To develop the technologies required to support the transport infrastructure necessary for Mars missions.
4. What are the achievements of SpaceX?
Some of the milestone achievements of SpaceX include:
- On September 2008 Falcon 1 Flight 4 becomes the first privately funded liquid-fueled rocket to reach earth orbit.
- On December 2008 NASA awards SpaceX $1.6Billions Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) contract.
- On July 2009 Falcon 1 Flight 5 makes history, becoming the first privately developed liquid fuel rocket to deliver a commercial satellite to Earth orbit.
- On December 2008 Dragon becomes the first privately developed spacecraft in history to re-enter from low-Earth orbit.
- On May 2012 Dragon becomes the first private spacecraft in history to visit the space station.
- On December 2013 Falcon 9 Flight 7 the first satellite that reaches into geosynchronous orbit.
- On April 2014 Falcon 9 becomes the first stage successfully lands in the Atlantic Ocean.
- On September 2018 NASA awards SpaceX $2.6Billions contract to fly American astronauts.
- On December 2015 Falcon 9 Flight 20 first stage returned and landed on land.
- On March 2017 Falcon 9 becomes the first controlled flyback and recovery of a payload fairing.
5. What types of spacecraft and flight hardware does SpaceX manufacture?
SpaceX currently manufactures two broad classes of rocket engine-
- The kerosene-fueled rocket engines
- The hypergolic-fueled Draco/SuperDraco rocket engines
Some of the facts about SpaceX manufacture are-
- SpaceX has developed three families of rocket engines – Merlin and Kestrel for launch vehicle propulsion, and the Draco control thrusters.
- SpaceX is currently developing two further rocket engines: SuperDraco and Raptor.
- SpaceX had already started developing Falcon Heavy which is a reusable super heavy-lift launch vehicle.
Across the sea of space, the stars are other suns now seems very near with such innovations and technology that are being currently executed by some of the most major companies like SpaceX. Space is going to be our second home now and exploring it becomes so much fun.