Many people still do not know what actually ketogenic diet is. What does this diet have? Why it is needed? What are the benefits of the ketogenic diet? Is it harmful?
Let us first know, what is ketogenic diet?
Ketogenic diet or keto diet is also known as the low carb-high-fat diet which means this diet has high fat, moderate protein and very low carbohydrate i.e. your nutrient intake should be 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrate.
During weight loss program, many people ask whether they need to follow keto-diet or not.
Normally, our diet contains high carbs, moderate fat and low protein which is unfit for your body leads to an extra weight gain of the body. The carbohydrate which is stored in food is converted into glucose which is then transported into the body and the burns out through physical activities. The remaining carbs store in the body as fats.
Ketogenic diet forces the body to burn fats rather than carbohydrates. If you reduce the supply of carbohydrate to a very low level in our body, we stop the formation of glucose in our body and then our body moves through a metabolic state called ketosis. At this state, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. These ketone bodies replace glucose as an energy source.
Your body stores fat as energy. When the formation of glucose from carbohydrate stops, your body exploits stored fat as energy production. And as such, this process of burning fats leads to weight loss of the body. Moderate protein is also required in the ketogenic diet, otherwise, our body will break the protein into fuel which is not good for the body.
If we reduce the intake of fat in our body, your body will not function properly because you will be in an extreme level of caloric deficit. Your body will not get the enough amount of calories required for the proper functioning of the body. High protein diet also does not fulfill the requirement of calories in the body.
Benefits of ketogenic diet
- If you resort to keto-diet, your body has the ability to burn stored fat for energy production. Otherwise, if you consume a meal rich in carbs, the breakdown of fat into fuel decreases. However, in the state of ketosis, your body has no option left other than breaking fats for fuel.
- It lowers the insulin level which promotes lipolysis and releases free glycerol.
- Keto-diet decreases appetite. You won’t feel hungry like when you consume a meal rich in carbohydrate.
- It spares muscles for a better composition of the body.
Drawbacks of ketogenic diet
- Once you are on a ketogenic diet, you will experience fatigue and brain fog for the first few weeks during the metabolic shift.
- Due to less intake of carbohydrate in the ketogenic diet, micronutrient deficiencies occur. To prevent this, you should take high-quality multi-vitamin/ mineral supplements twice every day. In addition, eat vegetables or you can take fiber supplements to ensure that your digestive system stays healthy throughout.